Mar 6, 2018
Legally Insane – Episode 23
The guys have a live show coming up tomorrow March 8th at The
Hollywood Improv in Los Angeles. They’re going to be recording a
live podcast. Guy Branum from True TV and Dana Gould from the
Simpsons will also be performing. Show starts at 7:30pm; if you’re
in LA come to the show. That being said this today’s pod will be
about Child Marriage Laws, buckle up.
- [03:58] – Last week, Kentucky residents voted and shut down a
bill that was aimed protecting 16 year olds from getting
- [09:20] – Over 200,000 children under the age of 18 were
married in the last 18 years.
- [10:42] – The legal Federal age for marriage is 18 but most
states allow 16 or 17 year olds, with parental consent.
- [11:24] – Tennessee has no minimum legal age for marriage. In
2001 courts allowed 3 ten-year girls to be married.
- [14:24] – Afghanistan has stricter marriage laws than a lot of
- [20:56] – Sherry Johnson of Florida was raped, pregnant and
married by 11. She’s now fighting to end child marriage in
- [26:08] – In New Jersey 2,000 minors have been married in the
past 15 years.
- [33:31] – The youngest person ever to get married was 10 years
old, in Tennessee.
- [35:50] – The people that wind up in these marriages are more
likely to drop out of high school and live in poverty. 100% live in
The Takeaway – Don’t be Tennessee.