Apr 24, 2018
Mann Act- Will Trump Pardon Jack Johnson - Episode
Trumps in the news again. Matt pulls up a story about Tumps
effort to pardon the boxer, Jack Johnson. Championship Boxer, Jack
Johnson was prosecuted under the Mann Act in 1912. The Mann Act was
created to further regulate interstate and foreign commerce by
prohibiting the transportation therein for immoral purposes of
women and girls. Will Trump Pardon, Johnson?
- [06:56] – The Mann Acts original intent was to address
prostitution. But eventually became focused on many broad behaviors
- [08:52] – Paranoia and American White Girls being forced into
- [11:52] – Boxer, Jack Johnson was prosecuted and convicted for
transporting women across state lines for “immoral purposes” as a
result of his relationship with a female white women, Betty
- [15:56] – Jack Johnson fled the country fighting in different
parts of the world before surrendering to US officials at the
- [21:58] – In 1986 they changed the part of the law that read
“for immoral purposes” to “any sexual activity for which any person
can be charged with a criminal offense”.
The Takeaway: The Mann Act is a stupid law,
which has recently been tightened up. But, back in the day it was
used for just about everything between a man and a women.
Hollywood Improv Ticket Link: